My California Drivers License

and how to get it with

Drivers Ed

don't be confused: take Driver Education; take Driver's Ed - on the Net

Welcome to is presenting:

Driver's Ed - on the Net®     only $49.95

the only California on-line drivers ed (education) course
with a Talking Teacher®, apporved by
the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

learn to drive




Drivers Ed

Driver Education (drivers ed) and Driver Training Information

Driver education may take place in a physical classroom or you may take a DMV approved online driver education course.You may take driver education (classroom training) or driver training (behind-the-wheel or BTW) in a public or private high school, or in a state licensed, professional driving school. Driver Education and Driver Training courses must be conducted as prescribed by the Department of Education. Driver Education must consist of at least 30 hours or 2 1/2 semester periods of professional classroom instruction. Driver training must consist of at least six hours of behind-the-wheel professional instruction. Professional schools and instructors in California are licensed by the DMV. Schools must carry liability insurance, be bonded, and maintain complete records for DMV inspection. Their teaching cars are subject to inspection every 6 months. Instructors must pass qualifying examinations every three years, or show proof of continuing education in traffic safety.
If your driver education and driver training were taken in a state other than California, DMV will accept either a To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools form (DL 33) form completed by the out-of state secondary school. Obtain a DL 33 form from your local DMV office or by calling DMV at 1-800-777-0133. Send the DL 33 form to your out-of-state secondary school to complete. letter from your out-of state secondary school on the out-of-state secondary school's stationery signed by a school official stating that the courses you have taken are equivalent to a California secondary school course described in Section 10020 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. An out-of-state driving instructional permit is not acceptable proof of driver education and driver training.
Provisional driver license restrictions during the first year
Effective January 1, 2006, a new law will increase driving restrictions for persons under the age of 18 who: Are issued a provisional driver license (DL) on or after January 1, 2006, or Already hold a provisional DL issued on or after January 1, 2005.
Provisional Driving Restrictions
You must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older or a licensed or certified driving instructor when you: Transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months. Drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months. To determine if these restrictions apply to you, look at the date on your driver license. The date printed just to the left of your photograph is the date these restrictions begin. The new restrictions apply for 12 months following this date. For example: If the date on your license is May 7, 2005, you will have the above restrictions through May 7, 2006. Violation of either restriction can result in a fine and/or community service.
Persons under 18
may not be employed to drive a motor vehicle. When you turn 18 years of age, the provisional part of your license ends. You may continue to drive as an adult using your photo license, which will expire on your 5th birthday after the date you applied.
Exceptions to Restrictions
When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for minors to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised. The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A signed note must be kept in your possession for any of these exceptions explaining the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end (except emancipated minors). Medical necessity when reasonable transportation alternatives are inadequate. The note must be signed by your physician, and contain the diagnosis and probable date of recovery.
Schooling or school-authorized activity.
The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his/her designee. Employment necessity and the need to operate a vehicle as part of your employment. The note must be signed by your employer verifying employment. Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian. If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1P) in lieu of your guarantors’ signatures.

Copyright 2008 - 2011      nsv